Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Still going

Here are a few more photos from Rome. These pics are from the day trip Eric and I took to Ostia, and you can see that I took pictures of lots of old stuff. My only regret is that I didn't get a photograph of the splendid picnic we enjoyed among the ruins. It was splendid, just splendid...aside from the malarial mosquitoes.



This mosaic was one of many that is just hangin' out in Ostia. However, this mosaic was in Technicolor, unlike the rest. Since I was touring with an ethical classicist I was nervous about taking a chunk of artifact...so I waited until he walked away. Geez, this mosaic looks great in our livingroom. Ancient Rome and Old Tucson...match made in heaven...

Ancient toilets...no walls, no privacy...just guys (firemen, I think) enjoying each other's company.

Another extraordinary mosaic. This photo was taken from a second story observatory. Huge...the public bathroom firemen really like mosaics.

3 comments:

Eric said...

WHAT?!? You took the mosaic? And not the toilets? Well, anyway, I'm currently enjoying your socks that Allison found in the washing machine, so I guess we're even. You have a chunk of ancient Ostia, and I have your hiking socks.

Dan said...

Are they blue? Because if they are, then you are actually trotting around in a pair of first-class comfort slippers.

Eric said...

No, I found those too (they're on-deck for some time this week). These are tan-ish with green toes and heels, and they are SPLENDID.